Allow me to set the context for this section of my blog.
For me, team building is a highly important aspect of any organization’s development. Very few of you will argue me that.
However, I propose that it is rare to see team building as a process that is directly integrated into the work that needs to get done. Instead, team building is done using separate programs, like climbing trees together, or goofy games that create bonding. Yeah, it does that to an extent. But there is nothing better than a team that builds itself amidst the project they are working on – and doing that consciously together.
Now ‘that’ is the best way to build teams in my view.
It is a method that I emphasize strongly during the discovery process as I believe it is the way to fuel deeper forms of innovation. When team building is separate from the work at hand, it is harder to relate what happened when you were hanging 100 feet in the air from a rope when – back at the company – a statement is made by someone that just doesn’t make sense. How do you team with that?
Integrate team building with your project and get better more sustained results. Then go out and have some fun outside of the workplace together.
- Social Innovation in Action: Vic Applies for the Bucky Fuller Design Challenge Award
- Building a Sustainable Enterprise: Considerations for Effective Application
- Insights on Team Identity and Self Expression
- Building A Learning Organisation
- Communication: Differentiating Debate, Discussion, & Dialogue