Social Innovation is the next wave that pushes whole system design to new heights. It goes beyond sustainability by allowing technology, humanity, and environment to synchronously converge within an ecological world society that is more conscious, and more aware of our creative collective impact. It defines how our creations can better fit into a greater whole, thereby sustaining and evolving planetary systems (including ourselves), rather than unraveling and destroying it.
Social Innovation Review out of Stanford is writing some interesting perspectives on this critical subject. This article, called “Social Innovation From the Inside Out” holds some keys to understanding its potential, which is far beyond how it used today.
- “… When it comes to innovation, social-purpose organizations face particularly daunting challenges. Social innovation isn’t just about providing new products and new services; it’s about changing the underlying beliefs and relationships that structure the world.”
More on the Role of Social Innovation and it’s Collective Impact from Vic’s blog:
- Collaborative Design: Methods for Developing Social Innovation and Social Capital
- Fractal Scaling Social Innovation – Alignment with Fractal Brain Studies
- What is Social Innovation? An Online Collaboration Project
- UNconferences – Doorway Into True Social Innovation
- Sustainability Reporting and the Creative Process